James Beard Award Winning Chef Vitaly Paley shares his grandmother's recipe for Spiced Honey Cake.
Ingredients (makes 1 loaf)
1 1/2 Cup AP Flour
3/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
1/8 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
3/4 Cup Sugar
1/2 Canola Oil
1 Whole Egg
1 Egg Yolk
1/2 Cup Orange Juice
1/2 Cup Black Tea
2 Tablespoons Whiskey
1. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices. Set aside.
2. Combine orange juice, black tea, and whiskey. Set aside.
3. Use electric mixer with whisk attachment, which together sugar, canola oil, honey, egg, and yolk until light in color. Add dry ingredients and mix until combined.
4. With mixer on low, stream in combined orange juice, black tea, and whiskey.
5. Pour batter into a lined and sprayed loaf pan.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
7. Remove from oven and let cool.
8. Slice, top with whipped cream, and fruit of your choice.
9. Drizzle with copious amounts of Bee Local honey.